Online education is becoming the most popular form of distance education. Higher education is using the Internet to reach students anywhere, anytime. Software and hardware have emerged to help teachers design and teach courses available for all students in a ubiquitous manner.
The student-centered teaching environment of online classes requires an understanding of how to design, implement and assess curriculum content. OET is committed to helping faculty members enhance and strengthen their current skills to become more effective in the principles and practices of online teaching.
TITANium Engagement is an analytical tool taking data from TITANium based on weekly student activities and participation. Faculty can review weekly engagement scores based on their students’ participation for each of their classes. For Faculty and Advisors, these scores provide early warning data showing a student’s overall engagement in their courses.
Teaching Tips Articles
- Myths and Facts About Flipped Learning by Robert Talbert
- Six Classroom Elements Learned from Zombie Films by Vincent Genareo, PhD
- Using Metacognition to Reframe our Thinking about Learning Styles by Hillary H. Steiner, PhD, and Stephanie M. Foote, PhD
- Four Types of Group Work Activities to Engage Students by Lynne N. Kennette, PhD, and Wes Hanzuk
- Building Rapport: Moving Beyond Teacher Characteristics to Actions that Promote Learning by Maryellen Weimer, PhD
- Teaching With Technologies by Jean Dimeo. Why and how instructors should employ digital tools to effectively engage students in face-to-face and online courses
- Forum Quality or Quantity: What is Driving Student Engagement Online? by Cassandra S. Shaw and Kathleen C. Irwin
- Facilitating Collaboration in Online Groups by Geralyn E Stephens & Kathryn L. Roberts, Wayne State University
- Common Challenges for Instructors in Large Online Courses: Strategies to Mitigate Student and Instructor Frustration by Beth A. Trammell & Chera LaForge, Indiana University – East
- ADA Compliance for Online Course Design by Sheryl Burgstahler, Director of Accessible Technology Services University of Washington
- Humanizing Online Teaching and Learning: The Quest for Authenticity by Nicole Schmidt, PhD
- 7 Strategies to Make Your Online Teaching Better blog post by a PhD Candidate in 2012; an oldie but goodie!
- 8 Tips To Build An Online Learning Community by Christoforos Pappas
Uncovering the Evidence is an infographic that illustrates five 5 myths about online higher education.
Courtesy of: The Learning House, Inc.